The Perfect Wife.....

There was no way we could let our blogs just sit and rot, while we blamed everyone but ourselves for not writing. Deciding to put an end to the hiatus on writing, me and Ishithaa have decided to write on every day of November on alternate days. Today if the post is on my page, tomorrow it will be on hers.....  

 I pottered about doing the final touch-ups for tomorrow's early morning pooja. It was the start of Mandala-maasam, an auspicious day in Kerala's religious calendar. I cant help chuckling  at the expression on my children's face when I declared there would be no non-veg or cakes for the next 41 days. Ha, after all they are too young to realize its religious significance....

Unconsciously,  the mind drifted back to my childhood. Indeed how different was my upbringing.... I couldn't remember my mother ever undertaking a religious fast or banning non-veg from our house! How our neighbors in that small town in Kerala disapproved of my mother - Indeed I and my little brother struggled to be accepted by the society! Maybe this desire to be the "Perfect housewife" was sowed then.....

Now only if she I could wipe the frown of disappointment that clouds my mother's face every time she meets me !

"Did your childhood rebellion with your mother, take the shape of this conformist that you don't even identify with" asked the Satan in me as I slipped into snooze-land.....

7 comments:

  1. :(
    how sad and hopeless! sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting piece of writing - thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting take...usually the rebellion is the other way around...where we don't conform. But I'm sure this happens too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting story... I'm usually the one who doesn't conform to rules...My mother follows but she doesn't or rather never forces me to...and I think she celebrates it her way... So I guess we are very much unlike the mother daughter in this story

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aah! We usually like to rebel but sooner or later we do act/behave just like our parents!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So Meena, if I understand you correctly, does your rebellion come in the form of being a perfect wife? ;) <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now that's a different kind of rebellion... I will agree with others, it's a very interesting story, with a different viewpoint.

    ReplyDelete